Sunday, May 23, 2010

Who needs what?

With less than a month until the World Cup, I thought I would give myself something to write about by starting a series of posts looking to what my assessments of some of the premier league teams need. I figure, going into the silly season, we're going to hear lots of crazy rumors, but the trick for us fans is the same as the club. We need to figure out what our teams need to move forward, rather than what we can get to make news. I'd love Bastien Sweinsteiger at Spurs, but midfield is the least of our worries right now. So lets start looking...

Manchester United
It's hard to say that the team who won three straight league titles before this season where they only came in second need nothing. The results they have had this season certainly tell most people that there is some room from improvement. In my opinion, I feel there are two real needs and one thing to look at over the next year or so. In the future, United need to figure out who will succeed Edwin Van Der Sar. With Ben Foster moving to Birmingham, I think Fergie has finally come to terms with the fact that he is not the best English keeper. But now, the red devils have two real areas to concern. They need a right back or a center back. One of the two would do right now in my opinion. Rio is always hurt, Vidic seems to be always threatening to leave and I don't really rate Wes Brown who has been hurt much of this season as well. I think If the problems in central defense can finally allow Rafael da Silva to come through and get his chance. In front of the defense, United need a proper central midfield general. They need a Mikel Arteta type of player to guide the game and let Nani and Valencia be creative instead of having to do so much of the thinking. Nani has been known to make stupid decisions from time to time and fans can be heard complaining about him regularly on BBC's 606. The team is still certainly good enough to stay ahead of Arsenal and Tottenham in the table, but there is that bit of room for improvement, but it needs to keep Berbatov. He may not be what fans were expecting, but if you United fans give him a chance, he'll do a job for you.

Tottenham Hotspur
Prepare for a long one here... Oh wait. No, I think the priority of this offseason is to make sure the squad that got us to the Qualifying round of the champions League stay. But, to take us forward, I feel like two signings should do it. But several peripheral players should go. The two signings Spurs need are a top class center forward and a very good centerback. We need one more spot player to cover in central defense when King can't play or we have any of our others are inevitably hurt. I have a few ideas for who it could be, but the one I would be most interested in would be Kjaer from Palermo as he is young and would be suitable to use for years. As for the center forward, only two names come to mind. Edin Dzeko or Luis Fabiano. Those are the only realistic names that I think would be a proper improvement. Going out, I think the first name on that list should be Robbie Keane. I love the guy, and he has been great to Spurs, but he is not what he was and is not what we need. I also think Jenas should go. I am one of the Spurs fans who hates him. I'll leave it there. Hopefully we can sell him to DC United because he'd be good for us here. I think we need to make sure to keep depth players like Bentley, O'Hara, Gio, and Pavs. These are very good players who are not starters in this team but can be great for us especially with the extra games this year with Champions League if we qualify. Although like every year, we'll be linked to everyone. Here's to Zlatan, Sweinsteiger, Kaka and Joe Cole coming to N17...

No comments:

Post a Comment