Tuesday, May 25, 2010

More 'Who needs What?'

So I plan to work through as many teams as I can bring myself to analyze. Feel free to make requests if you don't see me cover your team.... and I am fighting the urge to cover DC United in this series. But we'll see.

Arsenal
What I think Arsenal should do is let Fabergas go, keep Almunia and keep counting on Walcott and Bendtner. However, IF I were to be objective I think there are two big things to do now. First and I'd even say more importantly is to get a new Keeper. Akinfeev, Neuer, Adler, Given/Hart. There are lots of good options and Wenger needs one of them. Almunia is a disgraceful keeper. Second and quite important as well is they need to keep Cesc. He is the one player in that team that holds them together. He is the only player of that team I would be lying if I said I wouldn't take him at Spurs. He is talented, young and a decent leader. Beyond that, Wenger needs to look to replace Gallas, because not only do I see him leaving, I think they can do better. And this is not even considering that he still has Silvestre who is rubbish. Period. And though most Arsenal fans were clamoring for Chamakh last summer, I don't think he is the be all end all answer. I still think they need to get rid of Bendtner and replace him with a big man type striker who isn't useless 90% of the time.

Aston Villa
This is a team that is hard to really assess for two reasons. They are good but something is wrong or missing and because Randy Lerner doesn't spend money. Last season, the club seemed to put together a back four that is worth something. The midfield got better and the problem seemed to be Striker. I believe that if O'Neill wants to play 4-5-1, Agbonlahor is plan A up top and Carew is his understudy. If he wants to go 4-4-2, then it's Agbonlahor and Carew. None of this Heskey nonsense. I think it would be good for them to dump heskey and get Keane from Spurs. I think he'd give the forward thinking and be a help to the development of Agbonlahor. I think in the midfield, there's no real problems other than getting Ashley Young to play rather than play-act. He dives a bit rather than taking people on when he is more than capable of beating just about anyone. If O'Neill can fix that problem, get the strikers right and keep hold of Brad Freidel and James Milner, there is no reason that they shouldn't be pushing hard for Europe again. Honestly, the team really only needs a little bit more depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment