Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Happy Winsday! DC United 3 - 2 AC Milan

That's it, DC United needs to find a way to play all their games on Wednesday since they are 3-0-0 for midweek games and 0-0-8 on the weekend. Considering I didn't think that DC had a chance, I am delighted to eat a dish of crow. There's not too much to say about this game since it was a friendly. Pontius looked good and hopefully this will give him some confidence for Saturday's league match. For the love of god, can we let Tino take the set pieces? Sure, he gets ambitious and sends a few into the upper deck, but his delivery can be excellent and, unlike Castillo, he gets the ball past the first man. Pity about Barklage; he looked promising. Hopefully, this is a fast-healing ACL injury.

As for the U.S. National team, well, I was wrong there too. Bob Bradley decided to take Robbie Findley instead of Brian Ching, took Torres and not Bedoya, and he took both Gomez and Buddle. Way to not make a tough decision on that last one, Bob. So, I wanted Torres and he is coming, but what of Ching? That honestly confuses me. Most of the speculation is that Ching is not the right man to play next to Jozy. I'm not sure I disagree, I assumed Ching was coming in as cover should Jozy get injured or need rest. Moreover, I'm unclear why Bob Bradley invited Ching to camp - Ching played well and exactly the way he would be expected to play. We are, of course, totally screwed should Jozy Altidore go down injured. Any combination of Buddle - Findley - Gomez would be a less than intimidating line up. For his part, Findley must have had a great camp because he has not looked very good for Real Salt Lake and certainly under-impressed in Amsterdam. On the whole though, only the Findley decision really worries me. I have to feel like his is a wasted spot.
You hear that Robbie? Prove me wrong (goals are most convincing).

2 comments:

  1. Yay, DC! Boo, Milan!! I don't know who Ching is, or really anything else about the USMNT, but I will repeat my earlier (living room) question: "Would DC be winning if David Beckham weren't injured?" Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, does the US even have a chance to be on top of its group at the world cup????
    There, I hope this proves to be sufficient gravitational force...

    ReplyDelete