Thursday, May 6, 2010

D.C. United Wins a Game!

I have been lax in my posting. Partially because D.C. United is horrible. Posting about the games, which I should be doing, would depress me, but that's not why I didn't do it. I was completely disoriented. If this year's D.C. United is to enjoy any success, some players will really have to step up and the way the team plays the game will have to change. Which brings me to the subject of my post.

D.C. won last night! Huzzah! It sure as hell wasn't pretty. It was not the attractive D.C. United soccer about which some much has been said. Gottseidank. D.C. does not have the caliber players to play "the beautiful game." I am not sure any team in the MLS does. The MLS has gotten better, I'm not attacking the MLS or its teams. Rather, that the MLS has gotten better is what prevents attacking/possession style soccer. Defenses are better organized, midfielders are better at reading the game, and overall, the league is much quicker. Most of the forwards who are successful (I can't speak to Edson Buddle this season because I haven't seen L.A. play enough) have a great deal of speed or pounce upon loose balls, deflections, and rebounds (See, Casey, Emilio). Let's look at this another way, Kyle Beckerman was considered one of the best attacking midfielders last year. Not bashing him, but '06 Gomez, he was not. A number 10 to drive the offense, wingers with not just speed but good crossing, forwards with the capability not just to beat defenders, but also to keep the ball and pull additional defenders - these types of players are expensive and have opportunities outside the MLS. D.C. has had some great teams in the past and will in the future, but now, for the type of players needed and at an even higher level than before, it will cost an arm and a leg. These prices are well outside the salary cap range and even three Designated Players might not be enough.

Christian Gomez was a find in 2006, but if I have to predict, I think he will be the last great 10 for a while. D.C. has its traditions, but needs to give up on what doesn't work. The team is slow and lacks the technical ability (and vision and intelligent movement) for a quick passing game. We all want to see beautiful soccer, but when you have two work-horses like Alsopp and Christman who will physically pressure a defense until they crack, it's foolish to try to play like they're young Jaime Morenos.

P.S. Congrats to the Spurs; you're not my team, but you deserve it.
P.P.S. A belated congrats to Fulham - what a European run. Who'd've thought Fulham would be the English standard-bearers in Europe?

1 comment:

  1. woot woot!
    I was there! It was beautiful enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete