Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Shot Fired in Anger

Ich liebe Deutschlands. Nicht wie so den USA, aber ich liebe noch Deutschlands. Yeah, depending on the breaks in the World Cup and should the U.S. go out earlier than I hope, Germany may well gain my support. I have also been a Michael Ballack fan for sometime and it is a pity that he is not playing in this World Cup. However, I now never want to see him in Black-and-Red or even in playing MLS.

Now, I never thought that Herr Ballack was suddenly going to show up stateside after being dropped by Chelsea; I assumed he'd be picked up by another top-flight European club or, at worst, a Bundesliga side. This has nothing to do with sour grapes. However, regarding his future, Ballack decided to let us all know that he thinks he still has a few good years left in him and he is "not yet ready to 'retire' by going to the United States or Dubai." Hey, Michael, I know my swearing in German isn't what it should be, but "verpiss dich." If that doesn't translate properly, you've been in England long enough that you should be familiar with the phrase, "get knotted." Sorry to be redundant, but I want to get my point across.

I know MLS isn't a top tier league. I know that players like Michael Ballack would never come to the U.S. in their prime. But the last thing I want is player who views it as retiring. That's a lie; the last thing I want is players who so unabashedly view it as retiring as to say it and not think it is burning bridges. If he wants to retire, he can buy a house in Dubrovnik or pretend to play in Dubai. If he wants to the come to the U.S., he needs to view it as "a new challenge," "the twilight of his career," or have an interest in "elevating the play of the game in the U.S." Something like that. If he wants to come here, half-ass it and collect an enormous paycheck, sorry, I'll take the considerably less-skilled Stephen King. At least he wants it.

1 comment: