Thursday, June 3, 2010

The England Squad... For better or worse.

I start by pointing out that while some good choices were made, I still don't think this is the right squad. I've been struggling to make assessments for the English team from the Japan game, but I just was so disgusted by that game that I had nothing to say, beyond "that was rubbish."

Let's start by looking at who ended up getting the phone calls telling them to unpack and get comfortable with the idea of watching the games on their couch. Capello sent home Dawson, Baines, Bent, Walcott, Adam Johnson, Huddlestone and Scotty Parker. When the 30 man squad was announced I made my picks for who should go home and I have gotten two right. I said Walcott and Huddlestone shouldn't make it, but I missed the other five. In the end, I still think Johnson, Bent, Baines and Dawson should be there. Huddlestone and Johnson are part of the next group you will be seeing in next few years at the Euros and in 2014.

Watching the England v. Japan game, I felt it was clear that Capello doesn't actually plan to play his reserves. He played Rio, JT, Lamps, Stevie G, and Rooney so much that it is hard to imagine seeing any of them missing any minutes in the tournament. It is sad to see that these players, several of whom are in bad form, are guaranteed. Rooney, and Lampard have been fantastic this season and will be keys to this years run to end 44 years of disappointment but I'd argue that run will not likely be ending this time around.

My biggest annoyance with this squad is that Gareth Barry has been given the opportunity to go even though we are all well aware that he will not be fit for the first game. You have to play seven games to win it, and if you know you don't have a player for atleast one and maybe more games, he isn't really worth bringing as I think it sets a bad precedent.

All this being said, this is the England squad... for better or worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment