Thursday, March 4, 2010

Arsenal: Targets or Frail?

I know what this sounds like. A Spurs fan going off about the Arsenal, but I had a chat with some Arsenal fans following the Stoke game to get their opinions and the ones I spoke with seemed to feel as I did. So here goes.

With the horrific injuries to Eduardo two years ago and Aaron Ramsey last weekend, are the Arsenal targeted as Arsene Wenger inferred, or are they simply a team of small and relatively frail players who are more at risk for serious injuries? It seems that after the horrendous discipline record of the early Wenger Arsenal teams, Arsenal are at minimum, the most obviously picked on team in the Premier League. However, is this because teams are actually out to bully them? Absolutely yes. However are they targeted to be injured? Absolutely not.

There are two reasons why teams go out to bully the Arsenal. One is that the easiest way to ruin Arsenal's flow and gameplay style is to be a bit rough with them. It disrupts their attack and ruins the rhythm which they prefer to play with. The second reason is because they are one of the physically smallest teams in the league. Other than Fabregas and Bendtner, I honestly wouldn't call anyone on that team imposing. Even Gallas and Vermaelen are by no means big. Simply put, they are not hard to push around, so why not do it if you can't match them in skill which most teams can't.

But why does Wenger seem to think that these injuries are happening on purpose? I honestly have no idea why he seems to believe this, but I think I know why it does keep happening to them. Since Arsenal are smaller and quicker, teams push them around and knock them down. Teams aren't trying to hurt them, but on occasion teams simply can't keep up with the pace. You see Aaronn Lennon and Theo Walcott on the ground alot because players can't keep up unless they aren't moving. Obviously I think Lennon is better, but the point stands. So in the case of the Shawcross tackle last weekend, the misfortune that befell Ramsey, is simply because he was a bit too quick and the speed was too much for Stoke City. As I remember, It was a similar issue for Eduardo, Although, I would have been too fast for Taylor, so that doesn't mean much.

So what can be done about this? Well, despite the fact that I in no way want to help the Wanderers from Woolich, there are a few answers. I think they need to bulk up the squad they have already. I know it will slow them down a bit, but I think it would keep them on their feet and give them more presence all over the pitch. Next, whether Wenger buys or grows him, he needs to find a physical striker and a physical midfielder to protect the back four and Fabregas. Add a little bit of physicality to the squad and watch them actually push for the title. So in summary, if you work for Arsenal, do exactly the opposite of what I just suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment