Monday, December 7, 2009

World Cup 2010 Groups set

A few days late, but here is my look at the draw. First up, here's the groups:
* Group A
* South Africa
* Mexico
* Uruguay
* France

* Group B
* Argentina
* Nigeria
* South Korea
* Greece

* Group C
* England
* United States
* Algeria
* Slovenia

* Group D
* Germany
* Australia
* Serbia
* Ghana

* Group E
* Netherlands
* Denmark
* Japan
* Cameroon

* Group F
* Italy
* Paraguay
* New Zealand
* Slovakia

* Group G
* Brazil
* North Korea
* Ivory Coast
* Portugal

* Group H
* Spain
* Switzerland
* Honduras
* Chile

Let's start at the top. Group A is actually an interesting group. For the conspiracy theorist out there, one could argue, that Blatter and Platini helped put France in an "easy" group to pass through. But I think that is not the case. I think this will be a tough group. South Africa do not want to be the first host nation not to make it to the knockout rounds. Mexico is a very good team, small, but very skilled. Uruguay are a good team as well, and I think they will cause trouble for the teams in the group. Good story lines here to pay attention to. My expectation for this group will see Mexico win the group and South Africa to narrowly come in second.
Group B is a bit of a snooze in contrast. Though there are 4 good teams in this one, I don't think anyone should expect anything less than a win in this group for Argentina. I think the real question here is who will finish second. Looking at the schedule, I think Nigeria are most likely to get through this group in second. I think the team that drew Argentina in their first game are most able to get a draw or nick a win against them. In this case that is Nigeria. South Korea are good but I think any kind of result against Argentina will set up Nigeria to blow through South Korea and I personally don't think Greece will get more than one point.
Group C is the second most interesting group, and likely will be one of the most watched and talked about. I think everyone is picking England to win it. I think this is a good bet unless Rooney, Gerrard and Ferdinand are fit. I also think until we see a strong partnership up top the chance of England getting very far is in doubt. But as I see things England should be able to win this group. In second, most people will expect the US to pull through after their showing in the ConfedCup. Despite this I'd say even though, I would pick them to get through, without the partnership of Jozy Altidore and Charlie Davies up front they may struggle. Charlie Davies, is out long term due to a horrific traffic accident and Altidore, though in the team, has been having trouble to push into his club side's first team despite a great deal of talent. I do think Algeria and Slovenia will be trouble makers, but I don't see them getting through. I also think the fact that the US and England play in the first game favors the US to get through since they are a good bet to get a draw against England in the first game.
Group D sees perenial favorites Germany in a good position to win this group which leaves three strong teams to battle for second. Australia is my pick to make it through. I think the Socceroos are a very good team and they did well in Asian qualifying. Ghana would be my dark horse though. THey would not suprise me if they stole this group and even if they managed a draw or win against Germany allowing them to win the group. They are a strong and physical team and I never like to bet against Michael Essien. He is a player that when he wants to, can control any game. His defensive capabilities are amazing and his offensive prowess is solid. He is a complete player. I still think Germany should win this one with Australia to go through as well, but I just can't ignore Ghana.
Group E is my least interesting group. I think Holland should win it and Cameroon should be second. As I have seen Denmark in qualifying, I don't think they are a particularly good team, but they are good at stealing games against the run of play. If any team struggles to score against them, they will make them pay. And sorry to the Japanese, but I simply don't rate you. I think you are a good team, but nowhere in top 32 teams in the world.
Group F is another ugly group. I think it is a crime that Italy have such a good shot at going through. I think Slovakia will win this group. They are going to be buzzing from qualifying and I think they can put a hurting on New Zealand and Italy if they want to. I think that Paraguay will come in second, but don't be surprised if they nick the 1st spot in this group. They were third in a very tough South American qualifying campaign. I don't think Italy are good enough or deserving of getting through this group especially since Lippi refuses to give good players a chance(See Cassano).
Group G is the one everyone will be watching. Brazil should win this group and I expect them to have a very good chance of making it to the final as well. The question is who will be second? In my opinion, it will be Ivory Coast. Drogba is in the form of his life, and the Ivorians are an incredible team capable of magic. I think they are going to do the job over Portugal and keep them out. I just feel bad for the people of North Korea who are not going to get to see any of the games or highlights, as rumor has it that State television there will only show highlights of wins.
Finally Group H looks rather straight forward. Spain should win it and if I were to put money on it, I would take Chile to come in second. I don't think Honduras are quite good enough yet, but watch them in the next world cup as they are a good team though. Switzerland are not deep enough in my opinion and won't go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment